Here you will find the latest news from the music world – whether from West Coast, AOR or Soul music.
BENNY SINGS RELEASES NEW EP “SANTA BARBARA”
UK-based soul powerhouse Mamas Gun announce new album “Cure The Jones” out April 1 and share Dutch singer, songwriter and producer Tim van Berkestijn, better known by his stage name Benny Sings, has become one of the Netherlands’ most talented musical exports with his distinctive blend of smooth Californian-tinged pop, jazzy R&B and a touch of DIY charm. On his new EP “Santa Barbara”, which has just been released, the Amsterdam-based artist brings together the numerous cover versions he has recorded in recent years.
DJ SUPERMARKT ANNOUNCES THE 10TH EDITION OF THE RENOWNED TOO SLOW TO DISCO SERIES
After smooth detours into Soul covers, French Neo-Disco, modern Sunset Disco and Brazilian AOR, DJ Supermarkt’s “Too Slow To Disco” series makes a joyous return to its original West Coast AOR and Yacht roots this year with its tenth edition. The anniversary compilation, which features 16 rare gems from the 70s and 80s, will be released on August 26th. If you can’t wait that long, you can already listen to a first minimix.
MICHAEL MCDONALD COLLABORATES WITH SPANISH SINGER BUIKA ON A NEW VERSION OF THE CLASSIC “YOU BELONG TO ME”
With “Sunsetter”, the New Zealand band LEISURE released one of the most interesting albums of 2021 “You Belong To Me” is one of the great masterpieces of West Coast music. Written by Michael McDonald and Carly Simon in the 70s, the song was recorded again and again in the following decades, including by world stars like Anita Baker and Chaka Khan. Now McDonald has invited the Spanish singer Buika into the studio to reinterpret this tale of love, jealousy and infidelity. The result is a seductive, Latin flavoured version that brings new facets to a timeless classic.
BRITISH SINGER-SONGWRITER JONATHAN JEREMIAH RETURNS WITH NEW SINGLE “HORSEPOWER FOR THE STREETS”
With his fourth studio album “Good Day”, singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah delivered a soulful masterpiece in 2018. Then it became quiet around the London artist. Now, finally, the man with the warm baritone voice is back with his epic new single “Horsepower For The Streets” and has announced a new album of the same name for September.
Overview about all our news
- Benny Sings releases new EP “Santa Barbara” - Dutch singer, songwriter and producer Tim van Berkestijn, better known by his stage name Benny Sings, has become one of the Netherlands' most talented musical exports with his distinctive blend of smooth Californian-tinged pop, jazzy R&B and a touch of DIY charm. On his new EP "Santa Barbara", which has just been released, the Amsterdam-based artist brings together the numerous cover versions he has recorded in recent years.
- DJ Supermarkt announces the 10th edition of the renowned Too Slow To Disco series - After smooth detours into Soul covers, French Neo-Disco, modern Sunset Disco and Brazilian AOR, DJ Supermarkt's "Too Slow To Disco" series makes a joyous return to its original West Coast AOR and Yacht roots this year with its tenth edition. The anniversary compilation, which features 16 rare gems from the 70s and 80s, will be released on August 26th. If you can't wait that long, you can already listen to a first minimix.
- Michael McDonald collaborates with Spanish singer Buika on a new version of the classic “You Belong To Me” - "You Belong To Me" is one of the great masterpieces of West Coast music. Written by Michael McDonald and Carly Simon in the 70s, the song was recorded again and again in the following decades, including by world stars like Anita Baker and Chaka Khan. Now McDonald has invited the Spanish singer Buika into the studio to reinterpret this tale of love, jealousy and infidelity. The result is a seductive, Latin flavoured version that brings new facets to a timeless classic.
- British singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah returns with new single “Horsepower For The Streets” - With his fourth studio album "Good Day", singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah delivered a soulful masterpiece in 2018. Then it became quiet around the London artist. Now, finally, the man with the warm baritone voice is back with his epic new single "Horsepower For The Streets" and has announced a new album of the same name for September.
- Estonian soul outfit Lexsoul Dancemachine announce new EP and start first German tour - Since 2013, Lexsoul Dancemachine has stood for energetic funk-soul made in Estonia. On their forthcoming EP "Lex On The Beach", the six-piece band from Tallinn now follows their passion for the smoother yacht soul sounds from California. Starting next week, the soul brothers will be on tour in Germany.
- Brazilian jazz fusion legend Flora Purim returns with “If You Will”, her first album in close to 20 years - Her inimitable voice ennobled the groundbreaking recordings of artists such as George Duke, Chick Corea and Miles Davis, her solo albums rank among the masterpieces of jazz fusion, now Brazilian music legend Flora Purim returns at the age of 80 with her new album "If You Will" to continue her musical journey.
- Japanese singer Nao Yoshioka releases new single “Tokyo 2020” - Neo soul artist Nao Yoshioka drops her new single "Tokyo 2020" inspired by her life in Tokyo during the pandemic. Nao’s exotic soulful vocal work shines through with beautiful strings, creating a midtempo tune that combines the nostalgic atmosphere of the 70’s with a modern R&B sound.
- Dutch West Coast band Dawn Patrol “Bring On The Good Times” with their first album - "Bring On The Good Times” is the debut album by Dawn Patrol, a brand new Dutch collective led by producer, songwriter and musician Phil Martin (Jazzinvaders, AIFF, Martin & Garp), that sets out to explore the essence of West Coast music, Softrock spirit and European pop sensibility. The result is an album that celebrates the slick LA sound of the early 80s and pays homage to West Coast heroes like Pages and Player.
- The Youngtones celebrate classic soul music on their debut - The American soul outfit Youngtones revive the lightness of 60s and 70s soul music on their recently released self-titled debut album. The album is characterised by catchy melodies, crisp bass lines, great brass sections and a warm production. Sam Cooke would have snapped his fingers at so much groovy lightness.
- John Carroll Kirby releases new album “Dance Ancestral“ - On his new album "Dance Ancestral", LA-based producer, pianist and composer John Carroll Kirby continues his metaphysical sound journey through the expanses of jazz, funk, new age and ambient.
- Tom Misch gets up the dance floor with his new project Supershy - Supershy is the name of the latest project by British musician and producer Tom Misch, who today releases two brand new tracks under this name - "Happy Music" and "Something On My Mind".
- PREP returns with new single “Speaking Silence” - "Speaking Silence" is the next stroke of genius from British smooth pop quartet PREP, a slow jam between West Coast blue eyed soul à la Bobby Caldwell and the velvety quality of 70s quiet storm. The song will appear on the upcoming 4-track EP, which the band has announced for early summer. Alongside the EP release, PREP are playing a headline US tour in May.
- Paul Cherry gets “Back On The Music” with his just-released second album - On his sophomore album "Back On The Music!", American indie artist Paul Cherry lives out his love of smooth grooves, jazzy arrangements and dreamy melodies deeply rooted in the tradition of Steely Dan, Michael Franks and the pop sensibility of Prefab Sprout. It is definitely one of the most exciting albums of this spring!
- Bobby Oroza returns with new song “The Otherside” and announces his second album for June - Finnish soul singer Bobby Oroza announces his new album "Get On The Otherside" with the now released title track "The Otherside". The album will be released on 10th June via Big Crown Records.
- Joel Sarakula releases his new single “Sun Goes Down” to kick off his German tour - On his new 70's inflected disco single "Sun Goes Down", released today on Légère Recordings, Australian soft rocker Joel Sarakula asks his lover: "Will you stay with me when the world is turned upside down?" A question that is more than justified in view of the current world situation. The single is released to kick off his German tour, which starts next week.
- Khruangbin & Leon Bridges join forces again for new EP “Texas Moon” - After their successful collaboration in 2020, singer-songwriter Leon Bridges and the psychedelic funk trio Khruangbin return with their second joint EP "Texas Moon". This time, their musical journey takes them across the dusty roads of the Lone Star State to the dark side of the moon. The five new songs touch on themes of love, faith and death while exploring new dimensions of inventive, hypnotic grooves.
- With his debut album “Riding The Wave”, MILES revives the heyday of West Coast music - Behind MILES stands the London-based session guitarist, singer and songwriter Adam ‘Miles’ Amer. Written and recorded in the UK over two years, “Riding the Wave” is a love letter to the golden era of analogue soft rock and West Coast music of the 70s and early 80s. With soaring harmonies, super-tight horns, smooth chord changes and searing guitar solos, Miles called on the best players in town to create an album that sounds like it was recorded in 1980. “Riding The Wave" is one of the first album highlights of the year that will delight all fans of classic West Coast music.
- Lance Ferguson returns with “Rare Groove Spectrum Vol. 2” - Multi-instrumentalist Lance Ferguson returns with the second chapter in his Rare Groove Spectrum series. "Rare Groove Spectrum Vol. 2" is another solid collection of re-works and re-imaginings taking in a broad range of classic tracks, traversing jazz funk rarities, balearic digs, latin groovers and more.
- Pearl Charles returns with new single “Givin’ It Up” - Following the release of her critically acclaimed 2021 album "Magic Mirror", LA native singer-songwriter Pearl Charles has released her smooth 70’s West Coast music inspired new single, "Givin’ It Up".
- PREP ring in the new year with “The Kid” - London-based four-piece PREP have one mission — to kick out elegant jams that make you dance while simultaneously luxuriating in the memories of late nights past. With a blend of sounds from contemporary R&B, electronica, and 70s to 80s inspired pop, the band welcomes 2022 with "The Kid", their first release from an EP in the works.
- Mamas Gun return with double A-Sider and announce new album for April - UK-based soul powerhouse Mamas Gun announce new album “Cure The Jones” out April 1 and share digitally today two stunning new singles “Party For One” and “Looking For Moses” - a lush, nuanced and expansively contemporary meditation on a world turned upside down, embedded in the classic soul tradition of Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye and Isaac Hayes.
- With their new album “Sunsetter”, LEISURE give us a dose of summer in the wintertime - With "Sunsetter", the New Zealand band LEISURE released one of the most interesting albums of 2021 shortly before its end. The rousing cocktail of electro-funk, shoegaze, yacht soul and sunset disco will bring us safely through the cold season.
- Le Commandant Couche-Tôt takes us on another disco-funk adventure - On his new EP "Une Histoire d'Amour Brésilienne" (A brazilian love story), Berlin-based French keyboardist Anthony Malka serves us a sunny cocktail of soul, disco and acid jazz to soundtrack another adventure of his alter ego Le Commandant Couche-Tôt.
- Indie Disco duo Neil Frances collaborate with Benny Sings on their new single “Where I Become Someone” - The LA-based duo Neil Frances, consisting of Jordan Feller and Marc Gilfry, tap Dutch pop singer-songwriter Benny Sings for their hazy nu-disco single, “Where I Become Someone.” The track is the latest to be released off their upcoming debut album, “There Is No Neil Frances”, which will be released on January 28, 2022.
- Lady Wray announces new album “Piece Of Me” for January 2022 - "Piece of Me", which will be released by Big Crown Records, is Lady Wray's second album and represents a kind of homecoming for the American R&B artist. The listener can expect a mixture of classic soul elements, rousing R&B and strong hip-hop influences - the "Good Sound" as Lady Wray calls it.
- Metronomy are back with their new single “It’s good to be back” and announce new album “Small World” for February - The new album "Small World" by the British indietronics band Metronomy will be released on 18 February 2022 via Because Music. To shorten the wait until then, the collective led by Joseph Mount has now released the new nostalgic synth-pop single “It’s good to be back”.
- Silvertwin fire a blast from the past with their debut album - On their self-titled debut album, the British band Silvertwin celebrate the melodic pop of the late 60s and 70s with such finesse that even Paul McCartney and Jeff Lynne might smile in approval.
- British Soul singer Nick Corbin releases new single “Deeper In Love” - Singer-songwriter Nick Corbin returns to his musical roots and celebrates the most beautiful feeling in the world with his new single "Deeper In Love". The result is a piece of uplifting 70s-inspired vintage soul with an extra dose of positive summer vibes.
- Super db celebrate the Californian sound of the 80s on their new album “Ecoute Ca” - Super db from London don't do things by halves: With their new album "Ecoute Ca", the band celebrates the West Coast sound of the early 80s with such accuracy and joy of playing that the record would also have cut a fine figure in 1982. Sadly, the album's joie de vivre is overshadowed by the untimely death of keyboardist and singer Matt Dibble last May. So "Ecoute Ca" is also a legacy of the 26-year-old founding member.
- Izo FitzRoy returns with her new single “Everybody Knows This Ain’t Right” - With her first new single "Everybody Knows This Ain't Right" since her exquisite second album "How The Mighty Fall", British soul powerhouse Izo FitzRoy follows in the musical footsteps of her idols Bill Withers and Dusty Springfield and encounters our troubled times with heartfelt soul.
- “Ripe” – Brainstory’s new EP is out now - From sweet soul-slowies to psyche-rock tinged bangers to ballads with a touch of jazzy 70s R&B, Brainstory's music is a sublime blend of Californian music history. "Ripe" is the name of the trio's new EP, released today on Big Crown Records. Even though the new songs were written and recorded during the lockdown, the guys have kept their joy of playing and good humour. It's worth a listen!
- California Vintage Vibes from the East Coast – Flamingosis releases new album “Daymaker” - With his new album "Daymaker", the American electronic producer Flamingosis once again takes us into a vintage sound world of easy-going smooth beats and sun-drenched West Coast vibes that are hard to resist. For the first time, the artist, whose real name is Aaron Velasquez, invited musicians into the studio to expand his sound. The result is a subtle mix of electronic beats, samples and real instruments and one of the most beautiful and mature albums by the artist from New Jersey.
- Kraak & Smaak herald the summer with their new single “All I Need (feat. iogi)” - Kraak & Smaak are finally back! With their new single "All I Need", the Dutch trio skilfully mixes a refreshing sound cocktail of soulful Rhodes grooves, a touch of sun-drenched Americana and a pinch of sultry Italian-French 70s flair, that will accompany us through the warm summer days. The song is featuring vocals by Tel Aviv-born and -based artist and producer iogi. "All I Need" is released today on the trio's own label Boogie Angst.
- Mndsgn releases his new album “Rare Pleasure” - On his new album "Rare Pleasure", released today via Stones Throw Records, American artist and producer Mndsgn aka Ringgo Ancheta brings together the music that has inspired him over the years - R&B, soundtrack music, psychedelia and jazz. The result is a dreamy, introverted album that oscillates between jazz-funk references and slow hip-hop beats, conveying Mndsgn's message: Cherish the moment and enjoy life.
- Modern Love – BBE Music celebrates David Bowie’s career with a new tribute album - With the new David Bowie tribute album "Modern Love", the British label BBE Music presents one of the most exciting compilations of this spring. The 17 tracks, interpreted by artists such as Helado Negro, Khruangbin, Jeff Parker, We Are KING, Eddie Chacon and Meshell Ndegeocello, offer a foray through Bowie's entire back catalogue. A special focus is placed on the influences of genres such as soul, R&B, jazz, funk and gospel on Bowie's work. "Modern Love" is a compilation that invites you to rediscover a legend in a contemporary setting. Bowie would have enjoyed it.
- David Guez releases new single “The Corners Of Your Mind” - The music of Anglo-French singer and songwriter David Guez seems to have fallen out of time. His songs have a timeless quality and could easily have been released in 1986. On his debut album "Imperfect Harmony", the artist had already dealt with the nature of time. Now his new single "The Corners Of Your Mind" has been released via Gold Mountain Music and convinces with classic pop music qualities, a seductive synth groove and a good portion of mellow West Coast feeling.
- Joe Armon-Jones announces new label Aquarii with solo single “Pray” - London-based keyboard virtuoso, composer and producer Joe Armon-Jones returns with his new single "Pray", which marks the launch of his new label Aquarii Records. Aquarii will be a home for all of Joe's forthcoming solo releases and collaborative work.
- With his new single “Rainmaker”, John Carroll Kirby takes a funky trip back in time to the 80s - The LA based producer, pianist, and composer John Carroll Kirby has announced his new album "Septet", which will be released in June on Stones Throw Records. His first single "Rainmaker" from his forthcoming album dives deep into jazz-funk territory and would have cut a fine figure on a Herbie Hancock or George Duke album in the early 80s. Everything sounds relaxed, warm and very groovy. The new video underlines this vintage character featuring funny guest appearances from Mac DeMarco, Kerwin Frost, Cola Boyy and Eddie Chacon.
- Brainstory bring Californian spring vibes to the turntable with their new single “Seasons” - The Californian trio Brainstory is back with its new single "Seasons". The song combines the band's sun-drenched Californian soul approach with a jazzy touch of Roy Ayers, hip hop influenced beats and mellow 70s West Coast pop. The result is an infectious and uplifting song written at the beginning of Covid lockdown, with the hope of finding a bright side in the troubles of the world. At the same time, this beautifully smooth tune is the announcement of their new EP "Ripe", which will be released via Big Crown Records on June 25.
- Gaspard Augé from Justice releases his debut single “Force Majeure” - Gaspard Augé, best known as one half of the French two-time GRAMMY award-winning electronic duo Justice who fused rock and rave in the mid-2000s, has just teased his upcoming solo debut album with the release of his new single "Force Majeure" via Ed Banger Records / Because Music.
- Gilles Peterson and Jean-Paul “Bluey” Maunick celebrate the early days of Brit-funk as STR4TA - DJ, label boss and radio host Gilles Peterson has teamed up with Incognito's Jean-Paul "Bluey" Maunick for their joint project STR4TA. On their debut album "Aspects", released on 26 March on Brownswood Recordings, the two long-time friends and collaborators revive the loose, multi-faceted energy of the early 80s Brit-funk scene and the spirit that guided it. The result is an album full of gritty DIY vitality coupled with the raw soul of this era just waiting to be unleashed on a live audience.
- L’Impératrice explore the avenues of the heart with their new album “Tako Tsubo” - The Parisian electro-disco band L'Impératrice has been enchanting their listeners for years with their seductive mixture of 80s-inspired synth grooves, French space disco reminiscences, library music accents and superb melodies. After the six piece band, founded by Charles de Boisseguin in 2012, caused a stir far beyond the borders of France with their debut album "Matahari" three years ago, they now return with the follow-up "Tako Tsubo" and blend heartbreak, elegance and Japanese manga aesthetics with the joy of musical experimentation.
- British R&B singer Joel Culpepper releases new single “Thought About You” featuring Shawn Lee - South-East London’s Joel Culpepper has been one of the hottest acts on the British R&B scene for years with his unique voice and energetic blend of modern soul and funk. After his excellent last single "Poetic Justice", which he recorded with nu-jazz musician and fellow Londoner Tom Misch, he has this time teamed up with legendary multi-instrumentalist and producer Shawn Lee for his new single "Thought About You". The song is accompanied by a new video - a hyper-stylised vision of a classic retro talk-show, complete with comedian Munya Chawawa enthusiastically adopting the role of host. Culpepper's forthcoming debut album, "Sgt Culpepper", will be released on July 23rd via his own label, Pepper Records.
- A.J. Croce pays tribute to the heyday of soul and rock with his new album, “By Request” - With his new album "By Request", American singer/songwriter and pianist A.J. Croce invites us to a musical house party. And as at any great party, the guests ask the host at an advanced hour to sit down at the piano and play the classics to sing together and remember the good old times. The result is an album on which the son of the famous Jim Croce reinterprets evergreens and hidden gems of soul, rock and blues music of the 60s and 70s with such joy and great musicianship that it is a pleasure to listen.
- Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak have teamed up for new project Silk Sonic – first single ‘”Leave the Door Open” out now - Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak have joined forces for the collaboration project Silk Sonic and have now released their first single "Leave the Door Open". The smooth 70s-inspired soul song will appear on the upcoming album "An Evening With Silk Sonic", which the two artists announced last week.
- Mndsgn releases new Single “Hope You’re Doin’ Better” - Californian artist Mndsgn returns with his new single and video “Hope You’re Doin’ Better”. The single is taken from the forthcoming album “Rare Pleasure”, which is inspired by soundtracks, samba, exotica and library records from the 70s/80s and will be released on June 4th via Stones Throw Records.
- Bottled Sunshine – DJ Supermarkt releases “Too Slow To Disco – Yacht Disco Edits Vol. 3” - Especially when it comes to relaxed, sun-drenched grooves, Marcus Liesenfeld aka DJ Supermarkt has been an international institution on the turntables for many years. To prevent boredom on the home lockdown dance floor, the Berlin DJ veteran and renowned Too Slow To Disco curator delivers the hottest sunset disco edits and remixes from all over the world with the Bandcamp compilation "Too Slow To Disco - Yacht Disco Edits Vol. 3" just in time for the upcoming spring. The edition, consisting of two volumes, contains a total of 27 tracks. The second part will be released this Friday.
- Benny Sings releases new single “Here It Comes” - The long-awaited new album "Music" by Dutch pop artist Tim van Berkestijn, better known by his stage name Benny Sings, will be released on 9 April featuring collaborations including Mac DeMarco, Tom Misch, Emily King, KYLE and Cautious Clay. "Here It Comes" is the latest single released with a lyric video directed by animator Sabrina Nichols.
- Finnish soul singer Bobby Oroza returns with his new single “I Got Love” - With his new single "I Got Love" (Big Crown Records), Finnish soul crooner Bobby Oroza delivers an atmospheric piece of vintage soul deeply rooted in the 70s – a perfect slow jam for the late winter.
- The Five West Coast Classics of the month – February 2021 - Once a month we take a look back at the classics and rather unknown album highlights of West Coast music from the 70s and 80s. Join WEST COAST SOUL on a foray through our record collection and travel with us back into the past.