Here you will find the latest news from the music world – whether from West Coast, AOR or Soul music.
NATHAN JOHNSTON & THE ANGELS OF LIBRA DROP SOULFUL SINGLE AND VIDEO “ALL YOUR LOVE”
The Hamburg soul outfit Angels Of Libra had attracted attention not least through their brilliant collaboration with musical all-rounder Shawn Lee. Now they have teamed up with Irish singer-songwriter Nathan Johnston to revel in the pure soul music of the 60s. The new, velvety grooving single “All Your Love” is about passion and lust and makes you want to listen to the soon to be released album.
“SENTIMENTAL FOOL” – LEE FIELDS RELEASES NEW SINGLE AND ANNOUNCES ALBUM FOR OCTOBER
American soul veteran Lee Fields releases his long-awaited new album “Sentimental Fool” on 28 October, making his album debut on legendary New York soul label Daptone Records. Fields’ first new album in three years is heralded by the release of the eponymous single and an official music video directed by Andrew Anderson.
EDDIE CHACON RETURNS WITH NEW SONG “HOLY HELL” AND VIDEO
Californian singer-songwriter Eddie Chacon is probably best known to most as one half of the successful US soul duo Charles & Eddie from the early 90s. With “Pleasure, Joy and Happiness”, the “low-key R&B legend” (The Fader) celebrated a brilliant comeback in 2020 with support from Solange and Frank Ocean collaborator John Carroll Kirby. Now the artist Mac DeMarco called his “planet earth’s number one musician” is back with a new record deal with Stones Throw Records and a new single and video. “Holy Hell” combines everything we love about Chacon – it’s celestial soul music for the 21st century.
LIGHT IN THE ATTIC RELEASES “EARL’S CLOSET”, A TREASURE TROVE OF UNHEARD 70S RECORDINGS – FROM HALL & OATES TO TOM SNOW
Earl McGrath was an enigmatic figure of the American jet set of the 70s. He had variously worked as a record company executive, film manager, screenwriter and art dealer. After his death in 2016, journalist Joe Hagan discovered a treasure trove of rare and forgotten tapes in Earl’s New York appartment – including previously unheard recordings by Daryl Hall & John Oates, David Johansen of the New York Dolls, Tom Snow’s country-rock group Country, Terry Allen, The Jim Carroll Band and Glen Clark. With the double album “Earl’s Closet”, the renowned archival reissue label Light in the Attic now makes a selection of this unpolished and authentic recordings available to the public – a captivating journey through folk, rock, country, funk and R&B of the 70s.
Overview about all our news
- With their latest single “Rolling Back”, Young Gun Silver Fox land a smooth strike - These two guys know exactly what to do to inspire their ever-growing fan base: Young Gun Silver Fox give us another superb single ahead of the release of their new album "Ticket To Shangri-La". "Rolling Back" shows Shawn Lee and Andy Platts at the top of their game, crossing cogenial influences of 80s pop nobility like Prefab Sprout with the sophistacted ease of West Coast heroes like Pages and giving it all an irresistible beat. This song should catapult them up the charts worldwide.
- On “Ali”, Vieux Farka Touré and Khruangbin open up the music of the late great African guitarist Ali Farka Touré for a new generation - Malian musician Ali Farka Touré, who died in 2006, was one of the most influential and talented guitarists Africa has ever produced. To celebrate and reinterpret his father's music, singer-guitarist Vieux Farka Touré teamed up with the Texas trio Khruangbin to record the tribute "Ali". The result is an album whose improvisational approach makes it one of the most exciting releases of the year and catapults the music of the "King of the Desert Blues" into the 21st century.
- PREP releases new EP “Back To You” - Known for their blend of sounds from contemporary R&B, electronica, and 70s to 80s inspired synth-pop, London-based four-piece PREP have shared their brand new EP 'Back To You'. The title track and lead single "Back To You" perfectly encapsulates PREP's signature sound – funky grooves, a great melodic guitar line, and smooth vocals.
- Jonathan Jeremiah’s new album “Horsepower For The Streets” evokes the soulful pop of decades past - With his fourth studio album "Good Day", singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah delivered a soulful masterpiece in 2018. After that, it became somewhat quiet around the London artist. Now the man with the warm baritone voice is finally back with his epic new album "Horsepower For The Streets" and seamlessly follows on from its predecessor - emotional, orchestral pop with lots of soul, deeply rooted in the 60s and 70s somewhere between Terry Callier and Lee Hazlewood.
- Nathan Johnston & The Angels Of Libra drop soulful single and video “All Your Love” - The Hamburg soul outfit Angels Of Libra had attracted attention not least through their brilliant collaboration with musical all-rounder Shawn Lee. Now they have teamed up with Irish singer-songwriter Nathan Johnston to revel in the pure soul music of the 60s. The new, velvety grooving single "All Your Love" is about passion and lust and makes you want to listen to the soon to be released album.
- “Sentimental Fool” – Lee Fields releases new single and announces album for October - American soul veteran Lee Fields releases his long-awaited new album "Sentimental Fool" on 28 October, making his album debut on legendary New York soul label Daptone Records. Fields' first new album in three years is heralded by the release of the eponymous single and an official music video directed by Andrew Anderson.
- Eddie Chacon returns with new song “Holy Hell” and video - Californian singer-songwriter Eddie Chacon is probably best known to most as one half of the successful US soul duo Charles & Eddie from the early 90s. With "Pleasure, Joy and Happiness", the "low-key R&B legend" (The Fader) celebrated a brilliant comeback in 2020 with support from Solange and Frank Ocean collaborator John Carroll Kirby. Now the artist Mac DeMarco called his "planet earth's number one musician" is back with a new record deal with Stones Throw Records and a new single and video. "Holy Hell" combines everything we love about Chacon - it's celestial soul music for the 21st century.
- Light in the Attic releases “Earl’s Closet”, a treasure trove of unheard 70s recordings – from Hall & Oates to Tom Snow - Earl McGrath was an enigmatic figure of the American jet set of the 70s. He had variously worked as a record company executive, film manager, screenwriter and art dealer. After his death in 2016, journalist Joe Hagan discovered a treasure trove of rare and forgotten tapes in Earl's New York appartment - including previously unheard recordings by Daryl Hall & John Oates, David Johansen of the New York Dolls, Tom Snow’s country-rock group Country, Terry Allen, The Jim Carroll Band and Glen Clark. With the double album "Earl's Closet", the renowned archival reissue label Light in the Attic now makes a selection of this unpolished and authentic recordings available to the public - a captivating journey through folk, rock, country, funk and R&B of the 70s.
- “That’s The Way of the World” – Charles Stepney’s demo of the Earth, Wind & Fire classic released for the first time - Earth, Wind & Fire's "That's The Way of the World" is indisputably one of the greatest songs in popular music history. The song was co-written by American record producer, arranger, songwriter and musician Charles Stepney and Maurice and Verdine White. Now, for the first time after nearly 50 years, International Anthem has released Stepney's original, uncut 4-track demo version of this 70s classic - a feast for rare groove aficionados, music archaeologists and R&B lovers.
- ATA Records presents “Early Works Vol .2” - Taking advantage of the off-time that the covid pandemic provided, ATA Records boss Neil Innes decided to dig into the label’s archive and take a look back at some of the earlier recordings, compiling them into a new collection called "Early Works Vol. 2" - a treasure chest full of stirring Funk, Soul, Jazz and Latin grooves.
- Lost album: Linda Hoover’s “I Mean To Shine” featuring members of the original Steely Dan line-up is released for the first time after more than 50 years - Lost albums are often tainted with myth, just think of "Smile" by The Beach Boys. Now Omnivore Recordings has finally released Linda Hoover's unissued first album "I Mean To Shine", which she recorded in New York in 1970 together with Gary Katz, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. This album is a treasure chest and a time capsule full of wonderful, previously unheard songs that take you back to the golden days of American singer-songwriter pop and also document Becker and Fagen's work before Steely Dan. "I Mean To Shine" is one of the finest discoveries of the year.
- Le Commandant Couche-Tôt releases one of the summer hits of the year with his new single “Lose It” - With his new single "Lose It", Le Commandant Couche-Tôt delivers an adorably groovy nu-disco anthem that, along with suntan lotion and a beach towel, should be part of the basic equipment on this year's summer holiday. Michael Jackson would have loved it.
- West Coast music made in Germany – Woodbeez release sublime debut EP - When it comes to new West Coast music from Europe, bands and artists from the Netherlands, Great Britain and France quickly come to mind. Germany has rarely been in the focus. This could now change with the band project Woodbeez from Hanover. "Volume 1" is the name of their just released first EP, on which they revive the sophisticated L.A. sound that bands like Pages and Steely Dan have shaped with skill and joy of playing - a real discovery.
- Young Gun Silver Fox demonstrate their joy of playing with their new single “West Side Jet” and announce 4th album for October - After a sold-out tour through the Netherlands, Young Gun Silver Fox finally release their new single, "West Side Jet", which again combines all the qualities you love about Andy Platts and Shawn Lee: an infectious melody, a driving groove and a crisp production. It's definitely one of our summer anthems of the year. The single is a foretaste of their new album "Ticket To Shangri-La", which will be released in October 2022.
- Californian soul outfit Thee Sacred Souls release new single and announce debut album for August - In the past few years, the San Diego based Thee Sacred Souls has developed from an insider tip to the next big soul music hope. Co-signs by artists like Alicia Keys, Princess Nokia, Black Pumas and Timbaland speak for themselves. Their new single "Easier Said Than Done" shows the qualities of the band: it is a piece of timeless, authentic soul music that knows about its roots and yet stands with both feet in the here and now. On 26 August, their debut album will finally be released on Daptone/Penrose Records.
- Benny Sings releases new EP “Santa Barbara” - Dutch singer, songwriter and producer Tim van Berkestijn, better known by his stage name Benny Sings, has become one of the Netherlands' most talented musical exports with his distinctive blend of smooth Californian-tinged pop, jazzy R&B and a touch of DIY charm. On his new EP "Santa Barbara", which has just been released, the Amsterdam-based artist brings together the numerous cover versions he has recorded in recent years.
- DJ Supermarkt announces the 10th edition of the renowned Too Slow To Disco series - After smooth detours into Soul covers, French Neo-Disco, modern Sunset Disco and Brazilian AOR, DJ Supermarkt's "Too Slow To Disco" series makes a joyous return to its original West Coast AOR and Yacht roots this year with its tenth edition. The anniversary compilation, which features 16 rare gems from the 70s and 80s, will be released on August 26th. If you can't wait that long, you can already listen to a first minimix.
- Michael McDonald collaborates with Spanish singer Buika on a new version of the classic “You Belong To Me” - "You Belong To Me" is one of the great masterpieces of West Coast music. Written by Michael McDonald and Carly Simon in the 70s, the song was recorded again and again in the following decades, including by world stars like Anita Baker and Chaka Khan. Now McDonald has invited the Spanish singer Buika into the studio to reinterpret this tale of love, jealousy and infidelity. The result is a seductive, Latin flavoured version that brings new facets to a timeless classic.
- British singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah returns with new single “Horsepower For The Streets” - With his fourth studio album "Good Day", singer-songwriter Jonathan Jeremiah delivered a soulful masterpiece in 2018. Then it became quiet around the London artist. Now, finally, the man with the warm baritone voice is back with his epic new single "Horsepower For The Streets" and has announced a new album of the same name for September.
- Estonian soul outfit Lexsoul Dancemachine announce new EP and start first German tour - Since 2013, Lexsoul Dancemachine has stood for energetic funk-soul made in Estonia. On their forthcoming EP "Lex On The Beach", the six-piece band from Tallinn now follows their passion for the smoother yacht soul sounds from California. Starting next week, the soul brothers will be on tour in Germany.
- Brazilian jazz fusion legend Flora Purim returns with “If You Will”, her first album in close to 20 years - Her inimitable voice ennobled the groundbreaking recordings of artists such as George Duke, Chick Corea and Miles Davis, her solo albums rank among the masterpieces of jazz fusion, now Brazilian music legend Flora Purim returns at the age of 80 with her new album "If You Will" to continue her musical journey.
- Japanese singer Nao Yoshioka releases new single “Tokyo 2020” - Neo soul artist Nao Yoshioka drops her new single "Tokyo 2020" inspired by her life in Tokyo during the pandemic. Nao’s exotic soulful vocal work shines through with beautiful strings, creating a midtempo tune that combines the nostalgic atmosphere of the 70’s with a modern R&B sound.
- Dutch West Coast band Dawn Patrol “Bring On The Good Times” with their first album - "Bring On The Good Times” is the debut album by Dawn Patrol, a brand new Dutch collective led by producer, songwriter and musician Phil Martin (Jazzinvaders, AIFF, Martin & Garp), that sets out to explore the essence of West Coast music, Softrock spirit and European pop sensibility. The result is an album that celebrates the slick LA sound of the early 80s and pays homage to West Coast heroes like Pages and Player.
- The Youngtones celebrate classic soul music on their debut - The American soul outfit Youngtones revive the lightness of 60s and 70s soul music on their recently released self-titled debut album. The album is characterised by catchy melodies, crisp bass lines, great brass sections and a warm production. Sam Cooke would have snapped his fingers at so much groovy lightness.
- John Carroll Kirby releases new album “Dance Ancestral“ - On his new album "Dance Ancestral", LA-based producer, pianist and composer John Carroll Kirby continues his metaphysical sound journey through the expanses of jazz, funk, new age and ambient.
- Tom Misch gets up the dance floor with his new project Supershy - Supershy is the name of the latest project by British musician and producer Tom Misch, who today releases two brand new tracks under this name - "Happy Music" and "Something On My Mind".
- PREP returns with new single “Speaking Silence” - "Speaking Silence" is the next stroke of genius from British smooth pop quartet PREP, a slow jam between West Coast blue eyed soul à la Bobby Caldwell and the velvety quality of 70s quiet storm. The song will appear on the upcoming 4-track EP, which the band has announced for early summer. Alongside the EP release, PREP are playing a headline US tour in May.
- Paul Cherry gets “Back On The Music” with his just-released second album - On his sophomore album "Back On The Music!", American indie artist Paul Cherry lives out his love of smooth grooves, jazzy arrangements and dreamy melodies deeply rooted in the tradition of Steely Dan, Michael Franks and the pop sensibility of Prefab Sprout. It is definitely one of the most exciting albums of this spring!
- Bobby Oroza returns with new song “The Otherside” and announces his second album for June - Finnish soul singer Bobby Oroza announces his new album "Get On The Otherside" with the now released title track "The Otherside". The album will be released on 10th June via Big Crown Records.
- Joel Sarakula releases his new single “Sun Goes Down” to kick off his German tour - On his new 70's inflected disco single "Sun Goes Down", released today on Légère Recordings, Australian soft rocker Joel Sarakula asks his lover: "Will you stay with me when the world is turned upside down?" A question that is more than justified in view of the current world situation. The single is released to kick off his German tour, which starts next week.
- Khruangbin & Leon Bridges join forces again for new EP “Texas Moon” - After their successful collaboration in 2020, singer-songwriter Leon Bridges and the psychedelic funk trio Khruangbin return with their second joint EP "Texas Moon". This time, their musical journey takes them across the dusty roads of the Lone Star State to the dark side of the moon. The five new songs touch on themes of love, faith and death while exploring new dimensions of inventive, hypnotic grooves.
- With his debut album “Riding The Wave”, MILES revives the heyday of West Coast music - Behind MILES stands the London-based session guitarist, singer and songwriter Adam ‘Miles’ Amer. Written and recorded in the UK over two years, “Riding the Wave” is a love letter to the golden era of analogue soft rock and West Coast music of the 70s and early 80s. With soaring harmonies, super-tight horns, smooth chord changes and searing guitar solos, Miles called on the best players in town to create an album that sounds like it was recorded in 1980. “Riding The Wave" is one of the first album highlights of the year that will delight all fans of classic West Coast music.
- Lance Ferguson returns with “Rare Groove Spectrum Vol. 2” - Multi-instrumentalist Lance Ferguson returns with the second chapter in his Rare Groove Spectrum series. "Rare Groove Spectrum Vol. 2" is another solid collection of re-works and re-imaginings taking in a broad range of classic tracks, traversing jazz funk rarities, balearic digs, latin groovers and more.
- Pearl Charles returns with new single “Givin’ It Up” - Following the release of her critically acclaimed 2021 album "Magic Mirror", LA native singer-songwriter Pearl Charles has released her smooth 70’s West Coast music inspired new single, "Givin’ It Up".
- PREP ring in the new year with “The Kid” - London-based four-piece PREP have one mission — to kick out elegant jams that make you dance while simultaneously luxuriating in the memories of late nights past. With a blend of sounds from contemporary R&B, electronica, and 70s to 80s inspired pop, the band welcomes 2022 with "The Kid", their first release from an EP in the works.
- Mamas Gun return with double A-Sider and announce new album for April - UK-based soul powerhouse Mamas Gun announce new album “Cure The Jones” out April 1 and share digitally today two stunning new singles “Party For One” and “Looking For Moses” - a lush, nuanced and expansively contemporary meditation on a world turned upside down, embedded in the classic soul tradition of Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye and Isaac Hayes.
- With their new album “Sunsetter”, LEISURE give us a dose of summer in the wintertime - With "Sunsetter", the New Zealand band LEISURE released one of the most interesting albums of 2021 shortly before its end. The rousing cocktail of electro-funk, shoegaze, yacht soul and sunset disco will bring us safely through the cold season.
- Le Commandant Couche-Tôt takes us on another disco-funk adventure - On his new EP "Une Histoire d'Amour Brésilienne" (A brazilian love story), Berlin-based French keyboardist Anthony Malka serves us a sunny cocktail of soul, disco and acid jazz to soundtrack another adventure of his alter ego Le Commandant Couche-Tôt.
- Indie Disco duo Neil Frances collaborate with Benny Sings on their new single “Where I Become Someone” - The LA-based duo Neil Frances, consisting of Jordan Feller and Marc Gilfry, tap Dutch pop singer-songwriter Benny Sings for their hazy nu-disco single, “Where I Become Someone.” The track is the latest to be released off their upcoming debut album, “There Is No Neil Frances”, which will be released on January 28, 2022.
- Lady Wray announces new album “Piece Of Me” for January 2022 - "Piece of Me", which will be released by Big Crown Records, is Lady Wray's second album and represents a kind of homecoming for the American R&B artist. The listener can expect a mixture of classic soul elements, rousing R&B and strong hip-hop influences - the "Good Sound" as Lady Wray calls it.
- Metronomy are back with their new single “It’s good to be back” and announce new album “Small World” for February - The new album "Small World" by the British indietronics band Metronomy will be released on 18 February 2022 via Because Music. To shorten the wait until then, the collective led by Joseph Mount has now released the new nostalgic synth-pop single “It’s good to be back”.
- Silvertwin fire a blast from the past with their debut album - On their self-titled debut album, the British band Silvertwin celebrate the melodic pop of the late 60s and 70s with such finesse that even Paul McCartney and Jeff Lynne might smile in approval.
- British Soul singer Nick Corbin releases new single “Deeper In Love” - Singer-songwriter Nick Corbin returns to his musical roots and celebrates the most beautiful feeling in the world with his new single "Deeper In Love". The result is a piece of uplifting 70s-inspired vintage soul with an extra dose of positive summer vibes.
- Super db celebrate the Californian sound of the 80s on their new album “Ecoute Ca” - Super db from London don't do things by halves: With their new album "Ecoute Ca", the band celebrates the West Coast sound of the early 80s with such accuracy and joy of playing that the record would also have cut a fine figure in 1982. Sadly, the album's joie de vivre is overshadowed by the untimely death of keyboardist and singer Matt Dibble last May. So "Ecoute Ca" is also a legacy of the 26-year-old founding member.
- Izo FitzRoy returns with her new single “Everybody Knows This Ain’t Right” - With her first new single "Everybody Knows This Ain't Right" since her exquisite second album "How The Mighty Fall", British soul powerhouse Izo FitzRoy follows in the musical footsteps of her idols Bill Withers and Dusty Springfield and encounters our troubled times with heartfelt soul.
- “Ripe” – Brainstory’s new EP is out now - From sweet soul-slowies to psyche-rock tinged bangers to ballads with a touch of jazzy 70s R&B, Brainstory's music is a sublime blend of Californian music history. "Ripe" is the name of the trio's new EP, released today on Big Crown Records. Even though the new songs were written and recorded during the lockdown, the guys have kept their joy of playing and good humour. It's worth a listen!
- California Vintage Vibes from the East Coast – Flamingosis releases new album “Daymaker” - With his new album "Daymaker", the American electronic producer Flamingosis once again takes us into a vintage sound world of easy-going smooth beats and sun-drenched West Coast vibes that are hard to resist. For the first time, the artist, whose real name is Aaron Velasquez, invited musicians into the studio to expand his sound. The result is a subtle mix of electronic beats, samples and real instruments and one of the most beautiful and mature albums by the artist from New Jersey.
- Kraak & Smaak herald the summer with their new single “All I Need (feat. iogi)” - Kraak & Smaak are finally back! With their new single "All I Need", the Dutch trio skilfully mixes a refreshing sound cocktail of soulful Rhodes grooves, a touch of sun-drenched Americana and a pinch of sultry Italian-French 70s flair, that will accompany us through the warm summer days. The song is featuring vocals by Tel Aviv-born and -based artist and producer iogi. "All I Need" is released today on the trio's own label Boogie Angst.
- Mndsgn releases his new album “Rare Pleasure” - On his new album "Rare Pleasure", released today via Stones Throw Records, American artist and producer Mndsgn aka Ringgo Ancheta brings together the music that has inspired him over the years - R&B, soundtrack music, psychedelia and jazz. The result is a dreamy, introverted album that oscillates between jazz-funk references and slow hip-hop beats, conveying Mndsgn's message: Cherish the moment and enjoy life.
- Modern Love – BBE Music celebrates David Bowie’s career with a new tribute album - With the new David Bowie tribute album "Modern Love", the British label BBE Music presents one of the most exciting compilations of this spring. The 17 tracks, interpreted by artists such as Helado Negro, Khruangbin, Jeff Parker, We Are KING, Eddie Chacon and Meshell Ndegeocello, offer a foray through Bowie's entire back catalogue. A special focus is placed on the influences of genres such as soul, R&B, jazz, funk and gospel on Bowie's work. "Modern Love" is a compilation that invites you to rediscover a legend in a contemporary setting. Bowie would have enjoyed it.