Skip to content
Here you find the latest news from the music world, whether from the West Coast, AOR or Soul.
- Soul, Funk and R&B classics from the vaults – November 2020 - Once a month we open the vaults of the WEST COAST SOUL record collection and take a look back at the classics of Soul, R&B and Funk from the 70s and 80s. Join us on a foray through a golden era of music history. Ladies and gentlemen, it's Soul time!
- The five West Coast classics of the month – November 2020 - Once a month we take a look back at the classics and rather unknown album highlights of West Coast music from the 70s and 80s. Join WEST COAST SOUL on a foray through our record collection and travel with us back into the past.
- Colemine Records announces new Kelly Finnigan holiday album “A Joyful Sound” - Even if there is still some time left until Christmas, from today on every soul lover can already look forward to this year's Advent season, because the American soul powerhouse Kelly Finnigan will release his first holiday album at the end of November. So make a note for the wish list!
- The five West Coast Classics of the month – October 2020 - Once a month we take a look back at the classics and rather unknown album highlights of West Coast music from the 70s and 80s. Join WEST COAST SOUL on a foray through our record collection and travel with us back into the past.
- “Rolled Up” – Benny Sings released new single featuring Mac DeMarco - Benny Sings has unveiled his latest single, “Rolled Up” featuring Mac DeMarco. It’s the third new song that Benny has released this year via Stones Throw, two of which he performed on a recent NPR Tiny Desk (At Home) Concert.
- Michael Franks Birthday Special - The legendary American singer and songwriter Michael Franks has always been a master in playing with genres like jazz and folk, samba or swing. In 1973, the Californian-born artist released his first album, which was followed by countless others in the following decades.Throughout his 45-year career, Franks has collaborated with artists such as blues legends Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Flora Purim, Kenny Rankin, Ron Carter, The Crusaders, David Sanborn, Toots Thielemans, Eric Gale, and others, and has written songs for The Manhattan Transfer, Patti LaBelle, Carmen McRae, and The Carpenters. His songs have been continually reinterpreted over the past decades and have long since become modern classics. Today this icon of American music celebrates his 76th birthday. WEST COAST SOUL congratulates with a little special that includes some record reviews and an interview with Leo Sidran about his Michael Frank homage "Cool School". Happy birthday, Michael Franks!
- A Love Of Your Own – The Ned Doheny & Hamish Stuart Special - In August 2017 entered with Ned Doheny and Hamish Stuart two music legends and old friends the stages in Manchester and London to revive for three concerts a music era of sophisticated grooves and irresistible melodies. A great chance to talk with both artists about their songwriting-partnership in the 70s, their musical development, the renaissance of West Coast music, current projects and future plans.
- The 5th anniversary of Young Gun Silver Fox – the West Coast Soul Special - In 2015, the British singer, songwriter, producer, founder and bandleader of Mamas Gun, Andy Platts, and the London-based American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer and arranger, Shawn Lee, combined their talents to express their love for the melodic Californian soft rock of the late seventies and their penchant for catchy hooklines and rousing grooves in a joint project - the beginning of Young Gun Silver Fox! Five years later this duo has become one of the biggest phenomena of the genre. Since then, they have released three albums - "West End Coast", "AM Waves" and "Canyons" - whose quality and catchiness are second to none, and have inspired critics and music lovers likewise. Young Gun Silver Fox have long become synonymous for modern, soulful West Coast music. Reason enough to search through the archive and compile all interviews and reviews for the big Young Gun Silver Fox WEST COAST SOUL special. We congratulate Shawn and Andy on five outstanding and creative years and hope for more great deeds in the near future.
- George Koutalieris released new album “Stop, Look, Listen” - "Stop, Look, Listen" is the production of Greek artist George Koutalieris. It is uplifting, and full of sun-soaked guitar solos, soft-touch electronic sounds around chunky grooves that doffs a cap to the more laidback end of the 1970s West Coast Rock spectrum.